12 Things To Do After You Move
The last of the moving trucks has just left and you are finally ready to close the door on an exhausting day. But wait, are you done with moving yet? No. There are a whole lot of things that you need to do after you move into your new home. Here is a quick checklist to help you kick-start the process.
1. Check your big-ticket stuff and furniture to make sure that nothing was damaged during the moving process. Most movers and insurance companies have a limited time in which you can file a claim. Make sure that all your appliances and electronics are working before that deadline passes you by.
2. If you were not able to have an exterminator visit the house earlier, get it done now before you start opening all your packed boxes. If you have a lot of time on hand and can rough it for a day or two, consider giving the home a thorough and in-depth cleaning before you start organizing.
3. When unpacking, don’t open all boxes at once. Hopefully, you’ve been diligent in marking all your boxes and maintaining a ‘moving diary’ when you packed. Now is the time to reap your rewards!
Multiple boxes lying open with stuff strewn all over can tempt you to stuff all of them inside a closet and then forget about it. Instead, open one box at a time and organize your belongings neatly as you go. Set yourself a timetable, like two or three boxes a day, so that your entire unpacking will be over in a week.
4. Change all locks and alarm codes. Not to sound paranoid, but do you really know how many copies of your keys are out there?
5. Make sure that all smoke detectors in the house are in working condition. If necessary, replace their batteries....